Air Evac Lifeteam is not only a leader in the air ambulance industry, but is also a leader when it comes to making safety a top priority. Being safe is integral to providing our patients with the quality medical care they deserve and, equally important, a safe work environment for our pilots, nurses and paramedics.
- Air Evac Lifeteam is one of the only air ambulance operators to require all of its pilots to demonstrate IFR emergency proficiency in a dedicated flight training device. Because of this requirement, the company makes use of its dedicated flight simulator as part of an on-going pilot training program;
- Air Evac Lifeteam requires all pilots to complete an annual week-long FAA-approved new hire and recurrent training program at a centralized training facility, including the requirement for pilots to demonstrate proficiency in the emergency maneuver of Touchdown Auto Rotation, a maneuver that, when executed properly, will save lives in the event of engine failure;
- The company was the first air medical operator to have an EMS pilot positioned in its Operations Center 24/7 to provide up-to-minute weather information and perform flight risk assessments;
- Air Evac Lifeteam is the largest air medical provider in the United States to complete implementation of Night Vision Technology at all of its bases;
- In order to provide a higher level of safety for its crewmembers, Air Evac Lifeteam has made a system-wide commitment to requiring helmet usage for all of its crewmembers;
- Air Evac Lifeteam has installed SkyTrac® satellite tracking systems in its helicopters to enhance our ability to monitor flights on a real-time basis and ensure the safety of both our crews and patients;
- Full-time Safety Staff's sole responsibility is to ensure that all personnel are well-trained and highly conscious of safe operating procedures;
- The Safety Committee, made up of several representatives from various departments within the company, meets on a monthly basis to review safety issues and establish policies;
- Air Evac Lifeteam maintains a company-wide commitment to establishing a safety-focused culture encompassing numerous initiatives;
- Air Evac Lifeteam performs Sentinel Event Analysis on all of its incidents to identify the root cause of the event and make recommendations to eliminate future similar incidents;
- Air Evac Lifeteam is a leader in the air ambulance industry in implementing a system-wide Air Medical Resource Management program. This program is designed to teach crewmembers to work together and communicate better to create an environment where safety is job one.
- In 2008, Air Evac Lifeteam was accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems (CAMTS), a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality and safety of medical transport systems;
- "Gold" rated by the Aviation Research Group (ARG/US);
- Awarded the Operator's Safety Award in 2006, 2008. 2009 and 2011 by Helicopter Association International, based on AEL's relative safety record within the air medical industry;
- Received the FAA's Diamond Maintenance Award in 2007, 2008 and 2009 for excellence in training and maintenance;
- Successfully accomplished company-initiated, third-party safety audits in 2005, 2007 and 2013 by well regarded industry experts.